Monday, June 28, 2010

4am

I lie awake watching the fan go 'round willing the night to quiet itself as my thoughts tumble over each other. I look at my husband sleeping beside me, the dear man that loves me. I think of my children dreaming in their beds...healthy, happy, safe. And we are not alone. My brother closest in age, his wife and child sleep here under our roof tonight. I am overcome as I think of this abundance in my life, the richness which surrounds me.

All of my brothers and sisters are near for the wedding. All of my parents and nieces and nephews too. People who have seen me through life. Ones I love. My heart is full.

The day arrives quickly. Someone comes to inspect and critique and pick at my home too soon. This home that has held my family tightly in its embrace for just more than 10 overflowing years. This home that has been a haven for me and my dearest people. Yet someone wishes to know everything that ever has or hasn't worked, everything and anything that could possibly be broken and it tugs at me. I want to shout out "Love this home!", it offers a place of refuge and comfort. In it you will find some of the greatest joys and perhaps sorrows too, but it will be home. The only one like it. Care for it, love it and it will give back to you.


4 comments:

FLEUR de Lo said...

Amen, sister! THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME! :) I hope the inspection is dreamy so you can focus on enjoying your family time. It was great to sit next to you in RS yesterday.

Nice blue, btw.

Kerri said...

What a sweet post, Malisa. It's so hard to leave a lovely home like yours.

Tracy Christopulos Harward said...

Gosh you're making me cry. I am so excited for your move Malisa. Transitions are ... exciting, yet bittersweet. I loved how you described the fullness and gratitude you feel. I know that feeling of joy that you described, that comes from having a family. We are lucky and blessed. Know that we are thinking of you and would love to help (the offer to watch the children of course, still stands).

Nea said...

Ok, so that made me cry. Well written. Good luck. If I was there I would help! Really I would, and I would try not to complain. :) Lynea