Thursday, March 8, 2012

Master Bedroom Makeover Part 1


This is a picture of the master when we first looked at the house. 


And just after we moved in.


It had a unique painting technique. I called is 'dirty rag wipe'.  The next pictures are me trying to capture the effect.




It was different than what is in the rest of the house, which has a glaze that brings out the texture (planning to change that too). I didn't mind the turquoise, but overall the master bedroom walls looked dirty. I wanted to go in a completely new direction.

 

Starting on the molding.  I opted to only do one wall for the first time ever.  (This house is so big that I don't think I can do things the same way I have before.  Every project seems more expensive and takes more time.) 


I wanted it to be more substantial than a lot of the board and batten I've seen lately and also a little more traditional so I added the extra trim piece to all the edges.  If I had a router I could have accomplished the same effect.  This is my workaround.  (The picture of mangled fingers and the accompanying story the first night of my woodworking class has prevented me from owning my own router.  I'm getting closer to giving in though.)

I only had to deal with one inconvenient corner...


I took the room's baseboard off and put in back over the top of my new boards so it looked continuous with the rest of the room.


I also filled in a bit of the texture on the walls so it wasn't so obvious my wall was showing through. 


Somehow, even with it only being one wall, my projects manage to take a long time.  I seem to underestimate the work required more often that not.  Maybe that's how I keep going.  :) 

Almost to the paint!

3 comments:

Erin said...

The room looks AWESOME! :)

Korey said...

I so want to take a woodworking class!

Cynthia said...

That looks great! I live next door to Stacie and you're welcome to borrow my router if you decide to do more of this trim work. I even have it all ready to go with the special router bit made for doing this kind of moulding.

Korey- we'll have a trims and mouldings class at the Home & Garden Club Summer Soiree in June 2013!