Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship


Running.

It's awesome. It's awful.

Ever since I hurt my foot, I've been struggling to enjoy it again. Much of the initial euphoria I felt over being so dang proud of myself has gone.

Last night I decided to just go run - without looking at my Garmin. I ran at the pace I WANTED to run at. Want to know what it was? I'll tell you, but...

As with pretty much everything else it is hard not to compare yourself with others. I have heard so many runners' stories now. I was talking with a friend this week about it and I KNOW she was shocked to hear what my pace was. (You were, weren't you Alanna?)

So guess how fast I was - or should I say slow? It really doesn't matter, does it?

13:00 min miles...that's what my body enjoys right now. It was liberating. I felt great. I could have run longer.

I did some 11:00 min miles on Saturday and hated it.

I am not a natural runner or even a natural athlete of any kind. I never have been; I don't need to be. This is not for anyone else. This is for me.


P.S. I do hope however, that by June I can run those 11:00 min miles without dying. The registration for the Wasatch back doesn't allow you to put a time slower than that without contacting them. Humph.

8 comments:

Stacie said...

Malisa, Don't compare!!!! You're right, this is supposed to be enjoyable! Only enjoy!!! The only person you should be "competing" with, is yourself!!! I'm excited for Saturday, it's going to be so fun!

Julie said...

I wish you guys the best of luck. You have accomplished something great and it is only for you. Be proud!

Lora said...

Ditto to Stacie. You're doing great. If you need someone to compare yourself to, choose me--that should give you a boost. :)

Kerri said...

Remember my philosophy...slow is what you were last month, fast is what you'll be next month. I think that's especially true after reading some girl's bio in Runner's World this month where she said, "Most people are surprised at how slow I run. I run 7 minute miles." Yeah. Whatev.

Lora said...

I also really enjoyed the run that night. I'll happily be your 13 min/mile partner as long as you need one.

Nicole said...

Ahh! Sorry Lora and Malisa. Lora logged into my computer last night and I didn't notice it was still on her account. That last comment was from me.

jennschmerer said...

Hey good for you that you're still sticking with it! No matter how slow you are, you're doing it and I agree that the only real competition is with yourself. You'll make it by June I'm sure!

Stacie said...

K so Ya!!! If you do any other 5k's this summer let me know. It's been a great incentive to get my butt to the gym. I would love to continue to do them...