Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer Too Short

The beginning of school is coming with a vengance. 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not ready.

(I think it may be worse this year because of my agreeing to be in charge of the school carnival in September. Um yeah, maybe it has something to do with that.)

I'm not ready for the heavy mantel of responsibility that comes with having kids in school. I'm not ready for them to have so much less time to accomplish so much more.

I don't mind having my kids home too much. I actually like it most of the time. (Except for right now when I keep getting interupted even when Sarah's asleep.) It's been a good busy summer, even though we haven't really played with friends much yet.

But mostly, I think I've made driving to school seem like a bigger deal than it probably is. No one else seems to hate it as much as me. (I think Sarah's naps play into this. I HATE HATE HATE to wake a sleeping child.) I also don't like to drive much. Perhaps it has to do some with my intense motion sickness or the fact that I don't see lots of car time as a great way to spend my/our day. It seems that we drive everywhere, all the time.

We (Daniel and I) just decided not to offer playing fall soccer to the boys because there's already too much on our calendar. Plus, the idea of shuttling both of them back and forth to practices and games (in addition to school, piano, scouts...) makes me sick to my stomach.

Bigger deal than it needs to be, right?

4 comments:

Julie said...

I feel the same way. Summer went by way to fast. Usually I am ready for me kids to leave for a few hours a day, but not this year. I do have to say I am ready for a schedule (bedtime).

Kerri said...

If it weren't for the carnival, you'd probably be fine with school starting. You'll do a great job and then you'll be free (FREE!!) from PTA responsibilities all year. Isn't that great?

Anonymous said...

No soccer?!?!?! How could you deprive the poor children? I am very saddened in hearing this. I think it will be bad for their health. You should seriously reconsider. :)

Lora said...

I HATE, HATE, HATE to wake a sleeping child, too. What mom doesn't? :)