Monday, November 3, 2008

Why My Kids Don't Believe in Santa

To start off this very touchy post, I must let you know that I did not grow up with the Santa tradition myself. I do not know the magic me and my children are missing out on. Despite this, I loved Christmas as a child and anxiously awaited the holiday season and what I would receive every year.

I asked my mom recently why she never had us believe in Santa. She told me that she didn't like when she found out as a child that all was not as she thought. So, she decided she wouldn't carry on the tradition.

I didn't originally make a stand about Santa. When my boys were small I just didn't really worry about it. However, Isaac approached me at quite a young age and asked me if Santa were real or not. My answer: no. The truth. Over the years we have had many conversations about Santa and why people encourage their children to believe. (I believe there is a lot of good behind this.)

Even though Santa Claus has been over commercialized, I really do like the message his image carries. Christmas is a time for loving, caring and giving. Santa is all of those things. He has a good heart and soul and loves children everywhere. What is there not to like about that?

The main point I cannot move past is this: Is it not confusing if I teach my children that Christ is true and Santa is true and then they find out I was lying about one? How do they believe I was not lying about the other?

My dearest friends and I differ on this issue. IT'S OKAY. I am not out to change anyone's opinion or family traditions. I just want to explain why WE do what we do.

In respect to most other families in this country, my children have strict rules about not speaking about Santa to other children. For the most part, they have been good and understand why they must be. If this is ever not the case and my kids divulge information they should not, I apologize in advance. They are children and are unfortunately not completely under my control.

I don't like confrontation, so please be careful about bringing this up in conversation with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post, well put, of course I feel the exact same way but have a husband who couldn't imagine Christmas for the kids w/o Santa.
I like your ending sentence about no confrontation. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Of course I feel the same and my reasoning is the exact same. I loved not being taught that as a child and always felt privileged to know the truth. However, I've allowed the belief in my house. This is my husband's desire and I honor it.

If I had to do it over again, it wouldn't make a difference. I think my children would be just as happy with or without the tradition. Without it they would still receive all the same gifts, just from their parents instead. The happiness they find at Christmas comes from many different sources and doesn't rely heavily on the belief of Santa.

Growing up without this belief and letting the focus lie completely on Christ did help me understand my mom's belief in Jesus Christ and just how deep that belief went. For that I'm grateful.

emily, etc, etc said...

I guess we can still be friends... ha ha ha - even though you know that I am an avid and ardent believer in Santa Claus.

Oh, and I am have to say that I never felt upset or lied to when I found out that he only lives in our hearts. It almost made it all that much more magical.

One more thing, I love the way my cousin portrays Santa to her children. She tells them that Christmas is about Christ and that Santa Claus loves Christ just as we should and that he wants all the children of the world to love Christ as well. So when we try to be like Jesus all year then Santa will come because he is happy that we are trying. I think it is a nice idea.

So, I won't confront you on the issue, just know that your friends will never begrudge you for having an opinion.

So, I will see you tonight...

Stacie said...

The one thing I have learned in life is that everyone does what's best for them. That's okay and it make each one of us individual. I'm actually surprised that my husband has continued with santa, because he is an advocate of not lying to someone to create a specific response (did that make sense?). And in essence, this is what we do to our children every christmas, easter, and when a tooth falls out.
I am a a Santa believer, only because I like my children to believe in magic. Not like magician stuff, but the fantasy and imagination that only a child can have. I think sometimes we loose that too early in life.
However I haven't continued the tradition as my parents did. At my house, santa always brought the cool stuff, and lots of it. The toys, the bikes, the stereo's etc. Mom and dad gave us clothes...
As a parent, I want the credit for the cool stuff. So Santa brings one gift. That's all. Big or small there is only one. Anything additional comes from a family member wrapped under the tree.
Anyway, Christmas is Christmas no matter what traditions you develop, as long as you have traditions. :)