Thursday, February 4, 2010

Excellence

1. A few mornings ago, Isaac requested I play a song for him. I had just gotten out of bed and dragged myself over to the piano. I attempted to play the song. I really did, but he wasn't too patient with my stumbling fingers. Then I had a horrible thought: "Is Isaac already passing me in skill with only 1 1/2 years of piano lessons?" This thought is most unwelcome when you studied piano for eight years more-or-less. The song had looked easy enough, except for all those darn flats. But luckily, I then noticed that it wasn't one of his books at all. It was a random Yanni book that he just wanted to hear how the song sounded. Phew. At least I wasn't struggling in a second year book. However, it did make me realize the amount I've lost. I haven't played much in the last 8 or so years, mostly due to a child that doesn't have a high level of tolerance for other people making music, but also in part to not really wanting to. And not playing for 8 years can make you lose what you had, which wasn't even that great to begin with.

2. So did you know that I love math? Doing math homework sounds fun to me. It was my major in college and I tutored up through Calculus in the math labs on campus. I was good. Although I've helped people a little over the last 10 years, it's been mostly Algebra and Geometry. Once again I've found that if you don't use something, you can lose it. I've thought a bit about getting a Masters at some point in my future, but I'm not sure I could study mathematics because it would be so difficult to spin-up.

These two areas used to be ways that I defined myself.

3. Last night I was looking at a blog I had already been to a few times. It's a blog of a mom that lives somewhere around here, has 5 sons and 1 daughter (the youngest), and takes some of the most amazing photos I've ever seen. Truly. Her photos are AMAZING. The post I'm going to link to here is of the birthday party she threw for her daughter. The party itself is incredible, but to be able to capture it like that baffles me. Plus she can write well. (I warn you not to look at the link if you don't want to see what appears as a charmed life.) There are a few other photographers that I would love to also emulate, but I get discouraged. My photography class is good, but it just helps me to know how much I don't know. (And even when I do learn new things, retaining it is so hard!) I've been frustrated about not being able to get my camera to do what I want it to do. I have a vision. Why can't I just reproduce it?!

All of this got me thinking about the areas that I dabble in. My sister commented that I've always got a ton of projects going at one time and she is right. The fact is: I'm good at a lot of things, but I'm not excellent at anything. The closest I come is probably in doing trim/molding. However, a neighbor of mine was looking to hire a trim carpenter to finish her basement and I wondered for a moment if I could do it. But do you know what it includes? Hanging doors. I don't hang doors and I have no desire to. Oh, and traditional crown molding that sits at 45 degrees? It's hard work and I'm not that great at it. This all makes me realize how many holes there are in my knowledge.

I like painting and drawing, but haven't done much with it lately. I sew a little and would like to sew more, but I don't ever plan on being an exceptional seamstress. I organize, but lose my drive. I cook a little, but nothing fancy. I've run, but I'm s.l.o.w. I sing, but lack training. I have good mothering moments, but the poor ones often outnumber them.


The problem is that I don't want to just be good, but be really good at something. To be, in fact, excellent.

And that makes me wonder.....

Do I have excellence in me?


10 comments:

Julie said...

Did this all stem from our conversation yesterday? You internalize way too much. Being good at a lot of things is way better than being good at one thing, in my opinion!

Stephanie said...

You are an excellent friend! Thank you for being so great at that!

Kerri said...

We just talked about this, so you know what I think. Choose your passion. Learn and grow. Don't compare yourself to others... DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS. Just think...do I know more than I did yesterday? And today, I know you DO (hello, exposure!!!) And remember, few of us really think we're excellent, even at the things we do best.

Lanterne Rouge RIder said...

I put my comment on facebook. Sorry I didn't know to save it for here. Basically I think there is in many of us the repressed desire to stand out at something, no matter what the thing is. However, there are so few spots to stand out and so many of us wanting them, that most of us find we have to be satisfied with being our best selves, even if that doesn't attract the attention or laud of adoring crowds.

BTW, it's okay if you lose interest some times.

Anonymous said...

Good post. I'm not excellent at anything either. Barely mediocre at a few things. I'm trying to be happy with just that. Just comparing my talents to yours I can get way discouraged! So there!
Lynea :)

Lora said...

Oh Malisa. I'm way too tired to get into it, but you know I think you're awesome. I just wish you'd be nicer to yourself.

You've got nothing on me with the photo thing. Your photos are nearly always better than mine. You've had two classes; I've had several years.

Love yourself, my friend. You are pretty stinkin' amazing.

Lora said...

BTW: I think it's her lighting. If you look in the people's eyes you'll see the boxes. She nailed the exposure in the background and then filled in the foreground. You can set up the same kinds of compositions---she just has access to more equipment than you do. Cut yourself some slack...
:)

Anonymous said...

It's sad that you spend so much time comparing and in some ways competing against other people. You are so fortunate to be good at so many things. Why not embrace and enjoy the gifts you were given? You truly are one of the most multi-talented people I know.

Malisa said...

Growing up I always thought I was going to be something special someday. A large part of my adult life has been coming to the realization that there's nothing usually special about me. Everyone around me has so much to offer. I do compare myself to others - to a fault. It causes a lot of sadness and feelings of inadequacy. I plan on moving past it, and there are times when it doesn't bother me much. However, in a time like right now when I'm trying to figure out who I am all over again, and the on-line world shows me people's talents with twisted clarity, it gets the best of me. I know I am lucky to be able to do the things I do. I just always feel like I could be more. Like I've let down God somehow.

Anonymous said...

I just (a year later) noticed your comment on my blog. Thank you for your kind words. I don't feel excellent very often but I love hearing it from you!