Monday, January 5, 2009

Finding Balance

I have a book that I have wanted to read all day (more on which one later). I kept telling myself that when I got the house clean, I could sit down and read. The problem is that I could clean FOREVER. Even just maintenance is all consuming - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, clothes, toys, spills. Needless to say, I haven't read any of my book yet today and it's almost 10:00pm.

I'm just not sure how to divide my time properly. I feel so guilty when I spend too much unproductive time (when I have the energy and "should" be doing something else). Most of the time, I feel like I am carrying a heavy backpack around of all the things I need to do.

I think that our society focuses way to much on "me" and how to fufill our own needs and wants and not enough on others or the task at hand. In the olden days (that's how I think of it - like me living on a farm in the 1800's), there was a LOT more work and a lot less play. Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone should have breaks and fun times, but when I hear about people just WASTING time or claiming all the things they DESERVE to do it drives me batty. (BTW, I am not saying that reading is wasting time, or any other activity you enjoy.) I do also think that people can work too much.

I guess it just comes down to everything in moderation. Balance. I'd love to say I've found it, but I haven't. Hmm... I think that might just be my New Year's Resolution...



Balance
and enjoying everything more, and being an overall better person.
Simple enough, right?

7 comments:

Bountiful Blessings said...

When you figure out how to obtain that balance, can you let me know the secret?? Moderation is def key, yet I still struggle...the backpack is getting heavier!

Lora said...

Yeah, right--simple! :) I think there is a lot to be said for taking some time for yourself consistently. I didn't allow myself to do anything creative for 3.5 years of marriage because I always felt like there were things I "should" be doing. Now that I've have allowed myself to be creative again, I know that not giving myself that was a big mistake. I'm learning that it's important for me to keep my cup full so I can have something to give other people. I think you're right--it's about balance. What that balance is will not be the same thing from one person to the next and it has never been easy for me to find. But it IS important. Way to go on setting the goal!

Julie said...

This is hard for me because I feel like I have no time for me. It is my own fault. I wanted a family and a career, and I have both but my career has to be done when the kids are asleep and I think that is when you have your me time. I don't read anymore, which is sad. I have wanted to be in the ward book club but I have no time to read. My free time is spent at school or playing tea party or working. I have to plan a time away from it all, like girls weekend away. That is something to look into because if I am at home everyone expects me to focus on them. Up for girls get away?

emily, etc, etc said...

Moderation, as great as it is, is tricky to get right...good luck on your new goal; it is a good one. And I agree we live in a "me" world.

N Luthi said...

I love this post! Thanks for the reminder!

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

k, this is why i haven't gotten on for a while, the balance thing. most of the time i am just muddeling(sp) through. i love that i can feel close to you and your family even though it's been sooo long since we have really seen each other. man, i have reeeally missed not getting on here, i find that i am missing people and coorespondence a lot. or adult semi-conversation. BTW your family is beautiful including you. o and do love your white cabinets, i have wanted to paint mine soooo bad. anyway, love and miss you. and i want an ikea, dangit. and your gratitude journal is awes i might copy too. o the simple things. kid crying as usual time to go.

Stacie said...

Good Luck!! I think everyone has this same struggle. I've always felt like you, there are always so many things to get done for the family and house etc. I've never really had time to do things for myself. About 18 months ago, I took up reading again. Now that I don't have any little tiny ones to take care of it has seemed to be a bit easier to do things now and then for myself, I don't have to use nap time to catch up the laundry or scrub the toilets. The one thing I have found though, is that it is okay once in a while to let the house go a bit. Wake up in the morning, and put dinner in the crock pot (then that is already done for the night) and sit down with a book, or scrapbooking, or just a long hot bubble bath, even if its for the entire day. It seems those days, my family and my house get a bit neglected, but i think everyone appreciates me a bit more (especially when I do actually wash their socks) but I am usually a little more relaxed and happier when i allow myself some time.
Sadly as mothers, and wives we put so much pressure on ourselves to do everything, that we never get to just sit. But you know what...once in a while it's okay.
Good Luck!!!