Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Relishing Life

Lately, I have come across a lot of sad, sad stories of things that people have to go through. I feel so much grief for them and it makes me want to appreciate what I have more, but sometimes it's hard to value what you have when it's right in front of you. The latest post on the Jackson Family blog really shook me though. It is a good reminder. Also, I just found an old friend from high school on facebook who is dealing with trials of her own. She has a great quote by Dallin H. Oaks about adversity on her blog:


“Adversity will be a constant or occasional companion for each of us throughout our lives. We cannot avoid it. The only question is how we will react to it. Will our adversities be stumbling blocks or stepping stones? Our responses will inevitably shape our souls and ultimately determine our status in eternity. Because opposition is divinely decreed for the purpose of helping us to grow, we have the assurance of God that in the long view of eternity it will not be allowed to overcome us if we persevere in faith. We will prevail. Like mortal life of which they are a part, adversities are temporary. What is permanent is what we become by the way we react to them.”


Sometimes it would be nice to not have so much of the adversity and I believe that some people get more than their fair share. However, adversity doesn't negate the fact that there is much joy to be had.


Last night, as I checked on the kids before I went to bed, I couldn't help but think about how much I love them. They are sweet and dear and darling children. I often dwell too much on what isn't perfect and forget to savor what is. So...I want to tell you a little about my children and take a moment to relish what is so wonderful about them.



Isaac




Isaac has always been a dear boy. He is kind and thoughtful and very sensitive. He is a great friend and forgives easily. He is willing to help and is always trying to be good. He works hard. He does his homework by himself and mostly practices the piano without complaining. He has big plans for his future. He wants to be an inventor and live in Hawaii with his friends. He likes cool cars. He likes to draw mazes on occasion. He's smart and tall. He loves his red-hair because it makes him special. He's already developing a strong sense of his own fashion.


Today, Isaac told me he got a new teacher at school. I asked if she was nice. He said "Yeah. I really hope she likes Math." :)



Adam






My dear Adam. I don't know what my life would be like without him. He can be the sweetest boy you've ever met. He is SO creative. He sees things in ways I don't. He imagines up all sorts of worlds and objects. He can play forever. When he plays, he sees things in maps (for lack of a better description). He'll sometimes explain something to you by drawing it in the air. He has a soft and gentle heart. He has a desire to please and wants to be good. He is cute. He is showing a surprisingly quick mathematical mind for his age. He is a very picky eater, but is usually willing to eat at least a little of whatever there is. He is workable.





Sarah







Sarah is a joy. She is spirited and energetic and fun. She is simply darling. She is funny at just the right times. She loves to jump and dance and will adore you if you do it with her. She has good spatial awareness and rarely trips or get hurt. She has her Dad's blue eyes. She loves her friends and other people in general. She gets excited about things. She loves to go places. She loves dresses. She loves to change from one dress to another many times a day. She is learning to love her hair being done. She can say lots of things and is constantly getting more understandable. She is bright and intelligent. She bites her nails, but only to fall asleep.

I love my kids. I really do. I am going to take more time to SAVOR.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a sweet tribute to your adorable children! They are so precious and such great people... largely due to the fact that they have such fabulous parents!

Hang in there, and keep up the good work. :)

Bountiful Blessings said...

How special was this post! Miss Molly's post was heartbreaking, wasn't it, but I think their personal tragedy has allowed others to slow down and love/see their children in a way they never really have. Each one of your kiddos sounds like they are incredible..if only we lived close and they could all play together. Thank you for the reminder to savor my own :)

Julie said...

I know what you mean. The Jackson family makes want to wake my kids and hug and kiss them. I want to meet her and hug her tell she is the strongest person I know (or have heard of). I am so blessed with a home and husband and kids and food and the gospel. Thanks for the reminder

Josh said...

Sweet post, Malisa. Your kids are getting so grown-up and are really finding their own way in the world. I love your celebration of how great each of them is.

Lora said...

:) They are sweethearts. I think they will enjoy reading what you wrote.

Suzanne Plant said...

Adorable kids. We could all be better to do the same - then maybe we could live life with no regrets.