Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jack of All Trades, Master of None


I enjoy doing a lot of different things. However, I seem to have a passion for most of them on a limited time basis. I still enjoy them after a while, I just don't pursue them.

Example:
  • Oil painting. Did it. Liked it. Done for now.
  • Drawing and other Art. Ditto.
  • Sewing. Once in a while.
  • Singing. Much more in the past.
  • Excersing. Did it for three years, then stopped cold turkey.
  • Piano. Mostly when I was younger.
  • Crafts. I'm very selective now.
  • Cooking. Not so much.

The problem is that I don't develop most of my talents or interests for long enough to be really good at them. To someone who hasn't dabbled in it I may seem accomplished, but there are very few things I master. Some times I feel much like a Jack-of-All-Trades, Master-of-None.

Some of my friends are masters. One for example is an exceptional piano player. And she knows she is good. Not in a "wow-look-at-what-I-can-do" sort of way, but in a "I worked really hard for a long time and am still working hard to have this talent" way. It is admirable.

I want my children to have something they have worked hard at and can identify with - something they know they are a master at. I don't think many other things can supply the self confidence and satifaction of a talent well earned.

I do have some things that I love more than others. Moulding (or molding based on what book you look at). I can dream about moulding. I love woodworking, but I'm no Norm Abram. I have been reminded of this every time I've taken a woodworking class. I don't have the patience or time to create some of the amazing pieces I've seen others do. It is an art. What I do I'm good at, but I really only scratch the surface.

I guess I should be grateful that I have interests and that I keep wanting to learn. I still have so many things on my list in my head to do.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Don't worry- you're not alone!

I can completely relate to your jack-of-all-trades dilemma: I, myself, am the same way! It is almost as if I have hobby A.D.D. I have a closet full of crafty objects bought but not yet created.

But I think that it is good that you have a wide variety of interests. I'm sure that there is someone out there that is really great at one thing and wishes that they had your versatility.

Kerri said...

Hey, layered chick. You know I wish I had half of your talents. And you have mastered many things. I've seen evidence. (The boys' room. The girl's room. The mantle. The darling hair clips. The painting in the front hall. The cupboards...need I say more?...I could!)

You just have to remember that there is never really a point of true mastery. There is always more to learn, something to hone, something to improve on. It's one of the joys of life!

Molly said...

HI! Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm right there with you. I've lamented this tendency at times, wishing as you said to be a master of SOMETHING. But I do like being well-rounded and trying lots of things. If I really wanted to be the master of something I could, as could you, but it's just not who I am, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to everything Kerri said. Could you share some of that talent w/ me?