Saturday, September 20, 2008

Panic Attack and Procrastination

This happens to me once in a while. Today was one of them. I had just gotten home much later than I had planned from a church activity to find that my not-to-well-thought-out plans for the day weren't going to work. The boys were on the front porch with Legos all over and Sarah was still awake at nearly 3:00pm. (This was not Daniel's fault; It was my lack of communication and forgetting to take my cell phone with me.) I felt like I had messed everything up by not having a better plan.

I have lots of dreams about not being ready for things. I often dream it's opening night of a play and I don't have my lines memorized or something is due and I don't have it quite together. I KNOW why I have these dreams. I AM A PROCRASTINATOR. I remember being particularily bad in high school with my homework. I'd often do homework due that day in the class before the one I had to turn it in to.

Truthfully, I have gotten much better the past few years, but it is still an issue. Even if I have time and I know it would be easier to do something early, I don't do it. Why not wait until the event is closer? Then I can see the benefits of my hard work sooner. Take Isaac's upcoming birthday party for example. It's planned for this next Friday. Invitations - nope, Treat bags - nope, Plan - nope. I just have a few ideas jotted down and a general idea of what I'm doing. I'm sure I will be up late making the invites and then I'll whip out a party on the fly. It's just how I work.

I secretly think I kind of like the adrenaline of having to do something quick and efficiently. It's kind of a "look at me, I just whipped this together - no big deal" type of feeling. It might not be the best way to go about it, but it does have some excitement in it, right? I think the main reason I've been better at all is because of the good examples of organized women around me and that I really, really, really don't want to let my kids down by more poor planning. That's why today was so sad. I was planning a surprise visit to my parents in Brigham City and I knew the kids would be excited and my parents would be happy, but could I pull it off? No - I just didn't have my ducks in a row.

So instead of going on a fun visit? I panicked and cried and cried. That's what you get when you just don't spend enough time in the planning. Sigh.

P.S. The church activity - it was good. Look at what I made! (A regular bag and a soon to be "I Spy" or Seek and Find bag.)

(P.P.S. I'm having a hard time with picture placement.)



2 comments:

Kerri said...

Ah. A familiar feeling. You KNOW you're not alone, but I'm sorry that you weren't able to get up to see your parents. Hope the evening was good and that tomorrow is better.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, bummer day. Hey, atleast I'm reading and commenting on your entire blog. :)