Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Compare-A-Thon


I fret a good deal about having a clean house. (I think a lot of the fretting comes from how I perceive a FEW others keep their house.) It would seem with all this fretting that I actually have one, but I don't. I can SEE the filth, the clutter, the simple to put away things - but I don't always want to do something about it. I get tired of redoing the same things over and over and over. I get frustrated that my children did not come equipped with vacuums. [I DO NOT want you to leave a comment telling me you think I really do have a clean house, because YOU don't live here. You don't see what it's really like SO MUCH OF THE TIME. A few choice people have had a glimpse of that lately (and I can just imagine the shock they feel when Malisa tumbles down the ladder in their heads).] Just know that if you visit - I already KNOW what is and isn't clean. No need to pass judgement. :)

When I want to start a new hobby - especially before I have any skills in it, I often think "There is so much talent out there (then I think of specific talented person)! How could I ever do anything that would be worthwhile?" This is how I felt as I decided to start running. This is how I still feel about photography.

When I decided to pursue woodworking, I felt like a peon. It's hard to ignore the AMAZING things that people can create in a woodworking class. Much of it requires so much patience that I don't have. (However, now that I feel much more confident in my own abilities and have found my niche and accepted that I don't actually have a desire to build elegant pieces of furniture, it doesn't bother me so much anymore.)

Oh, singing. A whole other can of worms. I have a good voice, not a great voice. I LOVE to do it, but so do so many others. Comparison is EASY in this area.

The problem is that there are so many aspects to compare. When I finally let one thing go, there’s another waiting in the wings - raising kids, voluteering, testimony, hobbies, exercising, friendships, cars, houses, energy, productivity, appearance, blogging, creative abilities… The list could go on forever.

There are so many things in life to try to be perfect at!

This is a problem for me!

The reason I decided to post about this is because of a discussion over at Segullah. In the comments, someone put up this quote by Elder Holland from a talk called "The Other Prodigal". (I just love the runner analogy):

“Who is it that whispers so subtly in our ear that a gift given to another somehow diminishes the blessings we have received? Who makes us feel that if God is smiling on another, then He surely must somehow be frowning on us? You and I both know who does this—it is the father of all lies.. I am convinced the commandment not to covet is meant to keep us from hurting ourselves… Brothers and sisters, I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us—insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn’t measure our talents or our looks; He doesn’t measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other. I know that if we will be faithful, there is a perfectly tailored robe of righteousness ready and waiting for everyone, ‘robes … made … white in the blood of the Lamb.’ May we encourage each other in our effort to win that prize is my earnest prayer..”

Please don't compare yourself to me and I'll try not to compare myself to you. Deal? Deal.

4 comments:

Julie said...

You can't compare your self to anyone. You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and makes someone do (or don't do) something. You are a great person and have great qualities. That's what makes us all different.

Some days each of us decide whether to clean our house or take a nap (lately mine is nap) or whether to volunteer at school or stay in our PJ's for the day. And on some days either decision could be a good one!

Do what you can, focus on what is important and say to the **** with the rest (sorry, only one word fit that phrase!)

Chin up friend, you are great in your own way!

Bountiful Blessings said...

What a great post and one that needs to be heard by all women. The one thing that I love about you my blog friend is that you never "act" like you have life all figured out. I certainly don't! For this reason and many more is why you are a real woman, mother, wife, friend.(if only you lived closer!)

BTW...my house is trashed...and today, I am ok with it! :)

Lora said...

I'm just impressed that you were able to type so much with an injured finger! Love the quote. Nicely said, Julie.

Lanterne Rouge RIder said...

I don't see any falling down the ladder. When someone has specific strengths, value them for those strengths. When someone has specific weaknesses, you have two choices: either decide that the weaknesses are things that you can't deal with and stop being a friend, or decide that the strengths you see are what really makes that person special, and ignore the weaknesses.

We need to find in each other that which uplifts us, not that which brings us down.

Sorry, not meant to sound like a sermon, just a few thoughts that came out of my scattered mind.