Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Love My House: Part 2

Sarah's Room


The day I found out I was having a girl was one the best days of my life. I was so excited to start on her room right away. I spent much of that pregnant summer working incredibly hard.


I was lucky enough to find a old set of girl's furniture at a yard sale for $75 (yep, that included the desk, hutch, dresser, mirror, headboard (in storage), and nightstand). I ended up putting 7 coats of white paint on it and a few of the drawers are broken, but I love it. Here's some the drawers just before they were painted, but after sanding.


Another before pic. See there's no moulding around the closet... (I had already painted the room once after we moved in.)





Voila! It HAD to be pink.




I drew the butterfly pictures to match the curtain fabric. The pictures are still not complete.


The recovered chair.






4x8 beadboard panels set on top of and capped with MDF boards. A trim piece hides the seam.


A small ledge spans most of the room.






I LOVE Sarah's room. (As I'm looking back at the post, I'm thinking that I must have better photos of her room. Biased as I may be, I don't think these do it justice. I worked so hard on that room! It was my biggest moulding project ever!)
Update: I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. I worry about my posts making people feel bad. I guess I've been wanting to document some of my projects just for myself. I hope to someday do a book or something about my house since I have put so much of my time into it over the years. Sometimes when I'm feeling down or overwhelmed it helps to remember that I have accomplished (even though there was complaining and tears) great things.

9 comments:

Suzanne Plant said...

Now who's jealous?????

Stephanie said...

You are incredibly talented! I love how you've decorated!

Mitzi said...

That was fun to help you do that project. It makes me want to have a house so that I can decorate the kids' rooms again. I really want Chloe to have her own room so I can make it all girly. As soon as Logan gets out of his crib, I am going to put him and Jake together. Then I can at least hang up cute stuff for Chloe. I love Sarah's room. It is adorable!

Robyn said...

Sooooooooo cute Malisa!!!! I absolutely LOVE it. Sarah is a lucky girl

Kerri said...

I think, as I always have, that it's darling, and I'm so impressed with you and all the talents you have pouring out of you.

Jealous? No, because I don't have the willpower to learn how to do the things you do. I'll just enjoy seeing the fruits of your labor.

Lora said...

I, too, think you did an amazing job on the bedroom!!! I don't feel like you're bragging or anything when you post such a thing. I think it's great when people share their accomplishments--it serves as inspiration.

Lora said...

p.s. What kind of book are you talking about?

Sherilyn said...

I love this room. You have such awesome ideas for matching up interesting colors. And I love that you did the artwork.

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

I love the potterybarnesque wainscoting all around, it is soooo darling. Nice work, it must've taken some time. I would love your help on a few projects, too bad you're not closer, we would have a lot of fun.