Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Religion



I am typically a pretty outgoing person and like to talk A LOT. I've enjoyed having a blog in part because it gives me an opportunity to keep having a dialogue of sorts.

However, the one thing I don't talk about as much is my religion - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In some ways it is private, but mostly it is me either being unsure or not wanting to offend. I like to believe I am an open-minded person and a respecter of others views. I often don't offer my feelings because of this.

The truth is though, that it is a HUGE part of who I am. It always has been. I am going to share some of that.

In the last few weeks, I have had the opportunity to connect with three standout people from my past. Two were people I dated and one was a best friend. All three of them influenced my life and my testimony of the gospel - perhaps even without their knowledge. I am choosing to see this as more than coincidence that I have been able to "chat" with them in such a short time frame. It has been a reminder to me of my past - of who I once was.

At the same time as this has been happening I have been making some changes in my personal life. There is no other way to say it, then that I have felt INSPIRED to do some of these things. One of the more obvious ones is my running. I've felt a desire to do it for some time, but finally things came together and it was time. The fact that anyone else has joined me has made it that much sweeter. I've also never given service on the level I am now before. It has blessed me immeasurably. In addition, I've started STUDYING my scriptures and the doctrine in earnest for the first time in a long time.

I don't know why this hasn't happened earlier for me. I've wanted it to. Perhaps I haven't been ready. I've recently noticed that I am coming out of a bit of a fog (more like mist of darkness) that seems to linger after I have children - not quite diagnosable, but very real. It feels like a new day is dawning in my life.

On the topic of my religion, I cannot escape the feeling that I need to study the new missionary guide "Preach My Gospel". It has been recommended to be in every LDS home. There is more than just stuff for missionaries in there. There is a lot for me. Already.

On the first page of the second section on "Effective Study" is says: "Study is an act of faith requiring the use of personal agency." Use of personal agency? It is a choice. I've always thought about people using their agency to make poor choices, but in this case I have use my personal agency to chose to do more than just get by - to study and to know.

I found this video on another blog. It is LONG - about 21 min. It is WORTH IT. It is a Mormon girl at Harvard answering some very tough questions. She is amazingly eloquent. The last half is almost better than the first because the questions get harder. Awesome.

http://vimeo.com/2120177

I have felt the hand of the Lord in my life too many times to dismiss it. It is time for me to do something more about it.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

We've already talked about this, but I just want to reinforce how great it is that you're doing all that you're doing and how inspiring it has been to me. Thanks for the nice post, Malisa.

Anonymous said...

It's a great post Malisa. As are your last couple of posts. I've been interested for a long while in studying Preach My Gospel. Let me know how it's going for you and maybe you can inspire me enough to really do what I want to do. Keep up the motivation!

jennschmerer said...

Thanks for the post Malisa. I was blown away by how articulate this girl is about questions that really would be hard to answer to so many people who have no concept of who we are. I too have a hard time wearing my religion on my sleeve if you will, but am inspired by others who do. Also, would you email me your training program for your 5K? I'm considering joining you- but I really hate running. I want a peek at what I'm in for first. jenn_lynne@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Malisa,

I enjoyed this post, and knowing that you're working towards finding answers for yourself. I've always been very outspoken about my feelings for my God...never so much my feelings towards any organized religion, the mormon church included (which technically I am a member of) other than with you and a few others that I have been very close to in my life. (I'm sure you know who this is....:)

I truly hope you find what you are looking for.......I love you.