Sunday, September 27, 2009

Unsettled

(Here's another post of me blubbering on about my unorganized and somewhat discouraged state of mind. I have no expectations that anyone read this. In fact, it might be better if no one did. Anyway, I write stuff down to try to make sense of it all and to feel like I've accomplished something by putting up a blog post.)


I'm over-committed, under-slept, and going crazy in my head. Did you know that if you don't sleep enough, you think a lot differently than you would normally? LITTLE THINGS can bother you to no end.

Did you also know that I can't focus. Did you hear that? I. CAN'T. FOCUS.

I'm spinning my wheels in accomplishing anything. I'm having anxiety about every little thing I have to do this week. Daniel looks at me with sympathy, but not with understanding. He was standing next to me while I was loading the dishwasher tonight when I stopped and said "I don't want to do this!" and then went and cried on the couch. That would be hard to understand, I guess.

The problem is actually not how much I have to do, but ME.

I have SO MUCH GUILT, which is incapacitating, over everything it seems. Anything church related right now is loaded with guilt for me. Mainly guilt of omission. I went to the Relief Society meeting last night, which was good, but it reminded me of my lack of visiting teaching efforts lately. Guilt. I stayed up way too late the last two nights and didn't make it to church on time. Guilt. I was not an awesome primary/nursery person today. I did NOT want to deal with those beautiful (but CRYING) children up in nursery. Guilt. I do NOT feel like praying right now. Guilt. I am feeling under-motivated about church ball. Guilt. The list goes on.

Now I have guilt for complaining about anything church related. I'll make the text littler so that some of you might miss that part. Sigh.

School is also an area of stress/guilt for me. I have more wrap-up to do on the carnival and I don't want to do it. I cannot wait for the two days off of school this weekend.

Other areas of major guilt include: house cleaning/organizing, time spent with children, MEMORY KEEPING (or lack there-of), relationships with friends/family, ...

One of the main things that has been eating away at me this week is the incredible coincidence that two of my very best friends in my life moved this week. They have very different stories that brought them to their respective moves, but they ended up closing on their houses the SAME DAY. This may not seem odd to you unless you really know them/me, but I can honestly say it has shaken me up.

Also, I try to pretend that Daniel's increased working is not that big of a deal. It IS a big deal, but I just have to try to ignore it. There's nothing to be done about it right now. There just isn't.

I don't know how to let go of the guilt. I have so many thoughts in my head that nothing is making sense to me right now. I'm frustrated more than usual. I feel a need for something new in my life. I'm a little jealous about my friends having a new adventure. I live a seriously blessed life. Why exactly do I have these problems?

Oh, I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow. I put off finding someone to watch Sarah. Imagine that.

As a side note, (but really isn't this all a side-note?) I have a lot of great pictures from the recent past. This helps me to feel guilt about not posting/scrapbooking/doing whatever the heck I'm supposed to do with them. So, I'll put two here. Daniel actually took them. That's my girl.




8 comments:

Lora said...

Oh Malisa. Did you know that I love you? Here's my RANDOM, quick list of responses:
You were not the only one who did NOT want to deal with the beautiful, CRYING children in nursery. {I need to be done---I've had FAR TOO MANY of those crying days. Would children be left in the same way in a sacrament meeting? A sunday school class? Even a primary sharing time? Perhaps a persons answer differs depending on how many times such a question begs to be asked and answered?}
I had an amazing conversation with someone once about the difference between shame and Christlike sorrow. I'd love to share it with you. {Much to involved for a blog comment.}
Something to help you feel some anti-guilt. Attending that Relief Society meeting {and spending time with you} was a MAJOR BLESSING for my life. No arguments---you are the only reason that happened. Thank you for blessing my life.
What time is your appointment? Do you want to drop Sarah off? Or we could come to your house, but I won't have a car. {And I will have a baby. I know, it makes you think there's no way I could watch all three. Actually Sarah and her toys :) would be an awesome distraction for Austin. The babe is great--just wants to be held a lot.}
Anyway, love you. Cut yourself some slack. You're amazing. Later.

Stephanie said...

Can I just say "amen" to Lora's comments? "Amen."

jennschmerer said...

Malisa,

I'm having deja vu...have you thought maybe you're suffering from some depression? This is almost exactly how I felt when I was in the middle of my worst depressive episode. I think many people equate sadness with depression, but for me it was a huge amount of guilt and an overwhelming feeling that I just could not seem to get anything done. Didn't want to deal with the kids and felt very alone cause my hubby was also working long hours. The lack of focus, energy, guilt, feelings of being overwhelmed, moodiness, etc. are all symptoms of depression. Just something to maybe discuss with your doctor, k? I hope you feel better soon!

Jill said...

Hey Malisa,
I am sorry you are going through a hard time. I just finished a really good audio fireside given by Carrie Wrigley. It's called Christ's healing power. It talks about so many of the things you mentioned in your post and how to help ourselves avoid depression and feelings of guilt. I really liked it. I just checked it out from the library. Good luck and feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh Malisa! I'm so sorry :( I wish I had time in my schedule to fit your kids in! I would just steal them from you! But I'm done reffing in about two weeks... I think. So I should have more of my life back by then... If calculus doesn't take over! Thanks for the call the other night but I'm sorry I haven't called back. Kaysie and I stayed at our nanny's house while my parentals were gone. But I will call you soon and possibly pencil you in if you would like.
(Actually, now that I think of it... I don't think I'm doing anything this Friday night...??)

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

K, number one: you have some reeeeaally wonderful friends. number B: your friends are reeeeally amazing...WOW!!!!!! number 3: you have a lot of friends that really care about you. number four: Dr. Laura is always right, you should never feel guilty unless you've done something wrong...and number A: call me. number 6: you have the superwoman syndrome, you're seeing the lack of and not seeing what you have done, give yourself some credit. number C: I love you, and had a really awesome time with you, you are very gracious and kind, and I wish you were closer.

Lanterne Rouge RIder said...

I totally think that Elder Uchtdorf's talk on Saturday morning was for you to help you not feel so much guilt. In case your kids kept you from enjoying it, you really should catch a replay at some point. Or I have some notes. Totally for both you and Nico.

Lynea said...

Can't even begin to comment on the GUILT! Have too much of it myself. I'm coming REALLY late to this post but I just wanted to say that Sarah is DARLING! Is her hair really that long? Miss you........... Can't sleep............

Lynea