Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blogging and Cooking are Complicated


Lately, quite a few people have been telling me that they are reading my blog. I haven't thought as much recently on how my words could be interpreted by so many different people that I know from different ways (i.e. family, church, school, neighborhood, lifelong friends,...) .(Comments help. Thanks to those that came out of the woodwork to let me know you are there.)

Blogging can be complicated.

A few people have said that I write how I talk. I imagine that's true because there are few filters in between my thoughts and my words. Sad, but true.

Cooking can be complicated too.

SO FAR, I have made 5 recipes from the book, 3 of which have turned out good or okay.




My Chicken Cordon Bleu (pictured) was pretty good, but the accompanying Rice Pilaf was way too seasoned. My Tomato Basil Soup was good, but while I was making it, with a pounding headache, I accidentally put in the whole can of marinara instead of half of it. Whoops. I tried making Baguettes (see picture). It didn't go so well. I don't have a mixer or baguette pans, but I have a 9-year-old helper. It was edible, but didn't rise all the way.

Last night, (I wish I had remembered to get a picture of this) I made Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham and Corn. It was the best so far. As I was staring at the potatoes, wondering how I was going to get them into nice thin slices, I remembered that I had a Pampered Chef Slice and Grate (Mandoline) from 8 or so years ago. It was surprisingly easy. I can't believe it's taken me this long to see the value in it.

5 recipes down, 5 to go. I am so getting those dishes.

6 comments:

Lanterne Rouge RIder said...

I may be inspired to cook after reading this post. Let me clarify: my wife does an excellent job of cooking, and I appreciate he doing that immensely. It's just that I kind of enjoy doing a little myself on occasion. Although my cooking is often confined to grilling or dropping something frozen into the oven; but I can do some mean grilling…

Lora said...

I love that you put a picture of yourself on this blog. It's like having the picts next to the comments. I haven't tried the soup yet. I'm saving it for mine & Austin's dinner. I'm sure it will be fab!

Julie said...

I love your bargaining with yourself. That is something I would do. I say Go buy new dishes and ask for forgiveness later!

Suzanne Plant said...

YOU ARE SOOOOO GETTING THOSE DISHES!!! Awesome! I'd love to say you are inspiring me to try new things but nothing could get me to cook more than I have to!!

Kerri said...

Very impressive. And remember, it takes 21 days to form a habit. You may be a kitchen whiz yet. Just a few more days...

Love the curly hair, too.

emily, etc, etc said...

You crack me up! That is all I have to say. Oh, that and well done on trying new recipes...