Saturday, December 6, 2008

I Went Grocery Shopping...With a List!

Those of you who know me, know that I don't love food. It's not that I hate it, I just don't love it as much as most other people. (I do enjoy good food on occasion, but I don't mind eating simply.) I struggle with my blood sugar. now and then, mainly because I don't eat regularly enough. I don't starve myself. I get hungry. I just don't like to think about food that much. I have said this many times and think I really mean it: If there were a pill I could take everyday and not have to eat, I'd be in. Imagine not having to think about, buy, cook, and be disappointed with sub-par food! I know this sounds blasphemous to many, but I am as I am.


Cooking is one of the things that I am not great at. I've known for a long time that change needs to happen, but it's so hard for me to feel inspired about food. You see, most of the things I enjoy doing have a lasting effect. Woodwork is pretty much forever. I don't have to do the same thing over and over. I can enjoy what I accomplish for a long time. Food, however, gets consumed and forgotten. And then you have to worry about it all over again. Oh bother.


BUT I KNOW, I really do, that their is more to this eating thing than I give it credit. That's why I'm making a change. I bought a cookbook for $25! It was expensive, but the author-lady was there with her soup and homemade bread in all its glory...so I made a pact with myself. I could buy the book if I promised to make at least 10 recipes from it. I also made another decision (that I haven't mentioned to Daniel yet) - if I make 10 recipes by Christmas I can buy myself new dishes.


So here's my clearly written goal: I will make 10 new recipes from the book by Christmas and show my family how much I care about them by making awesome dinners! (My clearly written goal is in honor of the assembly I went to this week at the middle school.)


Um, back to the book. I quite like it and it has some advice on how to manage cooking at least 5 nights a week. Taking this advice, we made a MENU for a week (they suggest two weeks, but we started small). From this MENU I made a SHOPPING LIST.


(I know some of you are gagging right now. Let me just say that, yes, it is possible to go to the grocery store without a list and, yes, you can still eat and survive. I am living proof.)


So, I went to the store with that SHOPPING LIST in hand today. I ran into Robyn (whose blog I was about to link to and then realized it was private) and little did she know how monumental this particular trip was for me. I had to ask THREE different workers where certain items were located, even though I've been to the store a hundred times. I don't believe I have ever bought half-and-half, white pepper, or dry mustard. Yep, I'm going to make those recipes like they say and NOT CUT CORNERS for the most part.


Wow. I just talked a lot, but you see, I'm all fired up. Wish me luck.






3 comments:

Kerri said...

Go, Malisa! You're amazing! Can't wait to hear what you liked and what you didn't like.

Lora said...

Okay, so this is my favorite post yet. I need to find the same enthusiasm in cooking. Let me know how you like the book & if there are any recipes I should try. I think I need to start by making a menu...

Julie said...

Reading your posts makes me laugh. You write just like you talk and as I am reading I can see your facial expressions. You need a frozen dinner group. You cook every night get the glory but don't have the bother of preparing and no grocery shopping. I make my weekly trips to Costco for milk, bread, cereal and call it good. It literally saves my life during the most hectic time of the day...you know homework, Amanda awnry, Justin getting home and of cource me loosing my mind.